Join Keysa and I as we explore the world of dieting and whether or not it’s a good idea for you. We discuss what a diet is, talk about our own experiences and offer guidance on how to figure out if it’s for you. At the end we also answer a listeners question about gradually introducing healthier foods. Find the FREE questionnaire below as well as our contact information to find out more or work with us!
Link to the Developing Healthy Eating Habits for your Kids podcast we referenced at the end.
- Commitment: What is your commitment? What is the reason you want to lose weight? And is it strong enough to keep you from overeating or eating foods that promote weight gain? Weight loss is not always easy, so are you willing to feel uncomfortable in order to lose weight?
- Why? Look at the reasons why you want to lose weight. Maybe it is to look better in a swimsuit, or to impress your husband or partner. If this is a compelling reason for you and will motivate you, then go for it. Maybe it’s for your wedding, or maybe you have chronic diseases and your doctor said you needed to lose weight. Whatever the reason, as long as it is compelling enough and will work for you, go for it.
- Support: Finding support either through a weight loss group, friends and family, or a health coach, support will help motivate you help you stay accountable for what you choose to eat. You can share your struggles and someone will be there to support you.
- Predict obstacles: This one is simple; get a piece of paper and divide it into two columns. Write down all of your obstacles on one side and write down everything you will need to do to overcome each obstacle on the other column.
- Plan ahead! Planning ahead is fantastic! When I plan my weekly menu, I write it down on paper and stick it to my fridge. I buy all the groceries I need, and then refer to the menu when I need to make a meal. It takes all the thinking about “what am I going to eat?” out of my head. I think about food less, and subsequently have more time to think about and spend on other things, like playing with my daughter, preparing for clients, and working on my website.
Questionnaire to help you decide if you are ready to go on a diet